Deployment of Adiabatic Chiller Boosters to Increase the Efficiency of Cooling Systems in Data Center
“Prasa has deployed new generation, intelligent chiller boosters in the cooling system of one of the largest data centers for supercomputers. These chiller boosters have decreased electricity consumption by up to 38% and increased chiller cooling efficiency by up to 43%.”
About the Client
The client is a department of Govt. of India which focuses on Earth Sciences and has one of the largest data centers for supercomputers.
- A data center is mission critical infrastructure and cooling is a salient factor to ensure all the systems keep working smoothly. The data center is located in Pune, India, and experiences hot weather for the most part of the year. It needs constant cooling and thus puts a huge amount of pressure on cooling systems and increases electricity consumption and cost.
- Data centers have a lot of heavy electrical equipment functioning 24*7, which needs to be continuously kept cool. And such a massive data center needs a very elaborate cooling system. Cooling equipment is very energy intensive and constitutes the largest part of total energy consumed in any data center. The department faced a similar problem which was increasing the carbon footprint of the data center and taking the department away from environmental sustainability.
The Prasa Solution
- It was decided that to counter the electricity consumption challenge and bolster its chillers, Prasa would deploy ‘Intelligent Adiabatic chiller boosters’, on the data centers cooling system’s chillers and monitor the electrical energy consumption. These boosters reduce the load on the chillers, hence, increasing its shelf life.
- Adiabatic chiller boosters aid the cooling system by reducing the temperature around the chillers. As soon as the ambient temperature of the chiller crosses 32⁰C, the intelligent booster automatically sprinkles water all around the chillers to cool down the surroundings with evaporative cooling. By cooling down the intake air, the overall efficiency of the liquid cooling system went up and PUE of the chiller was brought down.
A quick view at the next-gen Adiabatic Chiller Boosters at work
- Adiabatic chiller boosters bring in better efficiency for the chillers thus, ensuring low energy consumption. This single factor has entailed multiple benefits for the department like reducing carbon footprint, reduction in power bill, bringing down the PUE and making the department environmentally sustainable.
- They reduced the energy consumption of the chiller up to 38%, increased the chiller cooling efficiency by up to 43%.
- It protects the chiller compressors, condensers, and heat exchangers and offers condenser protection for up to 100%.
- Adiabatic chiller boosters increase the shelf life of the chillers slowing down the depreciation and decreasing maintenance cost for the department in the long run.
- It cools down intake air and thus provides condenser pre-cooling.
- It also reduces the compressor load by reducing gas pressure in chiller gas circuit.
- Adiabatic chiller booster is a modular system with unique technology that provides minimum water consumption with high evaporation efficiency.
Prasa Infocom and Power Solutions Pvt. Ltd. is one of India’s leading data center and mission critical infrastructure solutions and services providers. Having worked closely for over 24 years with a wide range of customers (from growing businesses to global enterprises, and government organizations), we have been able to procure in-depth knowledge of the specific requirements regarding varied industry verticals. To read more case studies from Prasa Infocom, click here.
*The specified data may vary depending on the climate, weather, and vicinity of the chillers.